Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mr. T's Holiday Challenge

I was watching TV last night and happened upon a certain talk show that will be ending next year.  The hostess was interviewing two Pulitzer Prize winning authors about their most recent book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide.   I was moved by the the horrendous stories and thought that perhaps my students would be interested in doing something this holiday season to help  women in need in the developing world.  So, I proposed in class today that we have a little competition to see which of my classes could raise the most money to donate to a worthy cause in support of women.  The talk show I was watching provided many options for how to give, but two in particular caught my eye.  One, costing a mere 250 dollars, helps an Afghan woman to start a business.  Another, for about the same amount, provides a "School in a Box"for children in emergency situations that don't have access to traditional schooling.  So, I will be putting 4 collection boxes in my room, one for each class.  Let's see over the course of the next two weeks which class can raise the most money.  For an inspirational video on the topic, click here.






No comments: