Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grades Updated

Today was our first official "Progress Report Day."  In the past, this meant that I would print out hard copies of each student's grades and hand them out.  However, now that most (but not all, I know) families have online access, I simply try to have as many assignment grades inserted in the online gradebook as is possible.  When you look at the grade, you'll notice that there are mostly "practice" assignments except for the Chapter 1 Quiz, which is the first "performance" grade.  In my class, I use weighted categories.  "Performance" is worth 70% and "practice" is 30%.  This being the case, it is extremely important for students to do well on their performance assignments (i.e. tests, quizzes, projects, etc).  Because the category is worth so much, students are welcome to retake/redo any performance assignment until I cut off grades at the end of the trimester.  Take at look at your grades and be sure to communicate with me if you have any questions. 

I do have a question for you.  What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages of a system like mine where one category is worth so much and where students can redo/retake those assignments as often as they like?  Use the comment feature below to register your feedback (or if you are reading this on your email, click here).

3 comments:

steven silverman said...

I like your approach. When I taught business undergrad/grads at WSU and Pittsburgh, I handed out the final exam essay questions on the first night - 10 questions of which I would select 3. No surprises on what the questions were, but the standard for the answers was very high. It makes sense to me that your students see the same type of expectations, if I understand your approach. Thanks.

duck14 said...

I like very much that you allow the kids to re-do because of my sons learning style he may take longer to process information and this gives him a chance to "get it". Otherwise, he would just keep going and would not have a chance to fully understand what you are teaching him. I think he will leave your class with an opportunity to learn and retain a lot of great information; carrying this onto higher grades.

Thank you.

Kirsten Mullins said...

Sorry for the late reply. I also appreciate your approach to grading. As we are trying to instill a "do it right the first time" or "do your best all the time" mentality-he doesn't know his best it-yet. With your approach, it allows him to see what it takes to get to his "best". Hopefully, by the end of the year, it will only take once. Thanks for teaching and all your updates. We are looking forward to "The Church Poem". Have a great weekend.